[filmscanners] RE: Density vs Dynamic range

> I think the rest of us non-techies will settle for
> Wayne Fulton's explanation at
>   http://www.scantips.com/basics14.html
>
> Gus

Hi Gus,

Wayne and I have had a few conversations on this (and other) issue(s).  He's
changed a few things on his web site due to our discussions, so I am
familiar with what he's written up.

He's got a lot of very good information.  The page you reference on dynamic
range all in all is pretty correct, from what I remember, though I think
there is still some confusion there when separating density range and
dynamic range, but for practical purposes, and his explanation purposes,
what he says is probably fine.  He says things VERY carefully sometimes too,
and you have to read it twice, like:

"The extremes of slides are more likely to be clear or black, and contain
greater dynamic range as seen at the scanner."

Which is true...as he says "as seen by the scanner"...and, some people take
that to mean  that slide film has more dynamic range, but the slide film in
fact has less dynamic range than negative film, though slide film does have
a higher density range.

It's a great site, and I highly recommend it.

BTW, when he talks about N bit scanners, he is talking about all three
channels.  His reference to 24 bits, is actually 8 bits...etc., so divide by
3 for the number of bits/channel.

Regards,

Austin