[filmscanners] Re: Windows Memory Mgt.

David writes:

> All very true, but NT/2k/XP give the user
> a single, flat 2GB address space, which is
> getting a bit cramped in this day and age
> of 4000dpi MF scanners.

The 32-bit hardware severely limits addressing beyond a 4 GB boundary.  If
you want to handle more than 4 GB cleanly, you'll have to go to a 64-bit
architecture (which is coming, but isn't quite here yet).

> Hmm. I wonder if that can be gotten around
> by having a thread object with it's own
> address space for each image.

The big problem is having a convenient way to address RAM directly.  32 bits
= 4 GB.  Very much like the problem with MS-DOS and 16-bit addressing, which
required that everything be chopped up into 64K chunks.