[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED

That's an interesting viewpoint, as everything I've read says the opposite.

All I know for sure is my own personal experience, scanning the exact same
negative. I owned the SS4000, so I had a baseline.  I then scanned with my
LS-4000 and also with a loaner SS4000+.

In my experience, the Polaroid did a better job with the shadows -- in
negatives.  Not a big difference.  Not even noticeable if you weren't
comparing the slides side by side.

The SS4000, in my experience, is less susceptable to resolving dust than the
LS-4000.  On the other hand, it has a much bigger problem getting dust into
the mechanism, so it is a tradeoff.

DIce is great, when you need it, but in a fairly controlled environment, I
rarely use it.

I haven't tried Polaroid's dust or scratch removal as I haven't needed it,
since I have the LS-4000 with DIce.  I don't scan old stuff and what I do
scan is in pretty good shape, so I can't comment on the value for 'bad
situations'.

In the end, if you already own one or the other, there is no true compelling
reason to switch -- EXCEPT that the LS-4000 will batch scan up to 36 negs or
50 slides.  That made the switch for me, as I, at the time, was scanning a
ton (for me) of film.  I've slacked off recently, but still...

One last comment.  In comparing the SS4000 to the SS4000+, the differences
are truly minor.  The extra two-bits doesn't show up in a typical scan.
Firewire is nice, but if you have working SCSI, it's not a real advantage.
The SS4000 scanners lots of people bought in the $500-600 range were truly
an incredible bargain.

In the end, I like them both!

I guess this should be a trigger for me to post the differences.  I still
have the SS4000+ and the LS-4000, but I'm probably just too lazy.

Tom