From: <HMSDOC@aol.com>
To: <anthony@atkielski.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 17:00
Subject: [filmscanners] Background Film Grain

Most of my images are scans from slides or negatives made at 4000ppi.  I
find
that to get the main focused subject of the image sharpened with USM I also
get marked sharpening of  the grain in the out of focus background, which
detracts from the image.  The main subject, which is in focus, does not seem
to have a significant problem with grain.  What is the best method of
adequately sharpening an image and yet keeping the background smooth and not
overly grainy appearing??  Any help would be appreciated.

Howard