[filmscanners] RE: Background Film Grain

Howard writes ...

> Most of my images are scans from slides or negatives made at
> 4000ppi.  I find that to get the main focused subject of the
> image sharpened with USM I also get marked sharpening of
> the grain in the out of focus background, which detracts
> from the image.  ...

  The problem is probably inherent in the film or scanner, and you are only
enhancing the problem with sharpening.  The only method available to you is
"selective" sharpening (unless you have ASF's GEM available to you, although
Vuescan's "grain removal" is also effective).  See the Bruce Fraser articles
on sharpening available here:
http://www.creativepro.com/author/home/40.html

hth & cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland