[filmscanners] Re: 3 year wait

"Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> Film has the range, but most scenes do not use it all.  Ten stops means a
> shadow at f/1.0 next to a bright spot at f/32.  That's quite rare.

Anthony, I have no idea where you take pictures, or how for that matter, but
your "experiences" and mine seem to never coincide.  I know that what I take
pictures of, getting 10 stops in a scene is hardly rare.

Do not confuse the density range of the scene, with the density range that
scene gets represented as on film.  They are two entirely different things.
<<<<<<<<<<<

The point of the discussion been lost. The question was resolving detail,
and achieving a resolution of, say, 100 lp/mm on any film requires that that
100 lp/mm pattern itself has a contrast of 1000:1. Even in an alpine scene
with snow in bright sun and foliage in shade, the detail in any given area
only has local contrast in the patterns that make up the local area of an
f-stop or two at best. (Well, maybe shadow patterns on snow have high
contrast, but other than that, patterns with high contrast just don't appear
in nature.)

Film resolution is usually stated as two numbers: for a 1000:1 pattern and a
1.6:1 pattern, and most film is 50 or 60 lp/mm for a 1.6:1 pattern. That's
what Anthony was trying to say, I think.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan