[filmscanners] RE: 3 year wait

> > Are you claiming most real life scenes don't
> > have 10 stops of density range ...
>
> Yes, if you eliminate light sources and specular highlights, particularly
> the former.
>
> > ... or that film doesn't have 10 stops of
> > density range?
>
> Film has the range, but most scenes do not use it all.  Ten stops means a
> shadow at f/1.0 next to a bright spot at f/32.  That's quite rare.

Anthony, I have no idea where you take pictures, or how for that matter, but
your "experiences" and mine seem to never coincide.  I know that what I take
pictures of, getting 10 stops in a scene is hardly rare.

Do not confuse the density range of the scene, with the density range that
scene gets represented as on film.  They are two entirely different things.

Austin