[filmscanners] RE: 3 year wait

I still contend and repeat:
> if you are scanning large
> numbers of frames, you better have forever to get the job done if you use
> these features on a regular basis.

This does not mean that without those features scanning large nuimbers of
images is going to be a walk in the park timewise.  The fact is scanning
large quantities of film takes a long time whichever way one does it.  If
you look hard enough, all negatives and transparencies have flaws and
defects; 100% perfection even with features such as ICE and ROC. I would be
so bold as to say that even with the use of ICE and ROC one will still need
to do some spotting and some color correction on onld negatives and
transparencies; thus, the amounts of time fixing old film runs more or less
the same with one's skills and demands being the key determinent as to how
much time will be required.

As for old or new silver halide B&W films, ICE is of no help since the
infared does not work with silver halide; and since there is no color, Roc
is also of little use.

The appearance of grain is as much a function of the resolutions that one
scans at as it is of anything else; and the way it appears is contingent on
such things as grain alising among other things.

My scanners do not have either and I have not encountered the problems you
note in the frequency or amounts you seem to with respect to my films - old
or new.  While such features may be helpful on occassion, I would not make
them the key decisional factor in selecting a scanner