[filmscanners] Re: 3 year wait

Laurie Solomon wrote:

> >What you have mentioned I would pick the Nikon in the fact that it has ICE
> cubed. ICE, ROC
> >and GEM. which will become very useful tools  if you want to scan a large
> numbers of
> >images.
>
> >From what I hear, the use of either of those will increase the amount of
> time each scan takes by 25 % or more and the use of both will increase the
> scan times for each frame by even more.  Thus, if you are scanning large
> numbers of frames, you better have forever to get the job done if you use
> these features on a regular basis.

Laurie

If you scan older negs then spotting does become a problem and time consuming.
therefore ICE

Old negs do loose colour  therefore ROC

Grain does show in negs more than tranny

You don't have to use them  - but having them is very convenient - I would not
be without
them

I have used ICE now on the Nikon LS2000  for some 3 years and would not like to
bulk scan
without it. Now have the Minolta SMPro with ice cubes and the higher resolution
shows more
defects than ever - even with ICE on.  I am into scanning my old 120 negs some
stored and
never touched these still have defects.

Trust me   -  and for 3500 neg scans thats a lot of work without ICE.

Rob