[filmscanners] RE: 3 year wait

> The ppi is not really that important when scanning if getting every
>last bit of information is important.

I believe that this is truer for medium format and large format film s than
it is for 35mm format films, where the additional true optical ppi is
important if one wishes to enlarge the frame to 16 x20 and larger sizes
without engaging in large amounts of interpolation while retaining a
reasonable 250-300 ppi optical resolution or if one wishes to enlarge small
cropped sections to 8x10 or larger sizes while retaining a reasonable
optical dpi.  If one is concerned retaining shadow and highlight details, I
agree with you that ppi is not all that important and density range of the
scanner becomes the important factor for all film formats.

>All the latest scanners are probably getting
>just about everything out of film.

Only if you are attempting to print uncropped 35mm frames at less than 11x14
sizes.