[filmscanners] Re: Need some tips on Vuescan

From: "Peder Skyt" <pesky@pc.dk> wrote:

> Please use the latest version of Vuescan.
> Please study the "Vuescan User's Guide" (find it in the Help page).

Have the latest version and am going thru the guide....

>>> Set preview resolution to something like 500 dpi.
>>OK... but why?

> At some (high) preview resolutions Vuescan seems to do some kind of
> nearest-neighbour downscaling, resulting in a pixelated image. To
> minimize this scaling "damamge", set the preview resolution so that the

Ok... have found a marked improvement in the preview when i reduce the
resolution... seems to me that upto about a 1000 ppi is ok... (am using 1600
x 1200 on the monitor)

> Higher preview resolution also means more time before you seee the
> preview, _every_ time you refresh the preview.

That's not a major issue.... but thanks for the tip....

>>OK... but how do i set the focus point?

> Move the oscillating focus marker with your mouse. Or enter the numbers
> by hand. By the way, I always set "Crop units" to "pixel": It is easier

Problem solved... seems you have to have the crop box set to "blink" in
preferences for the focus box to show up... otherwise it's a virtually
invisible dot... figured it out after much fooling around :) Yes, and in any
case i do set measurements to pixels....

>>> Saved as 48Bit Tiff file....
>> No, don't save as 48 bit RGB; save as 16 bit Gray.
>One tip given here was to save as 16/48 bit RGB and then convert to B&W
is
>PS if i needed to...

> if you  don't like how Vuescan does the RGB-to-Gray conversion, then
> scan to a raw file (with proper exposure) and use your image editor to
> do the conversion.

By raw scan, i presume you mean the scanned tif version... not the raw scan
version that VS gives you the option to scan?

If so, that's what i do.... i don't really do any corrections in VS... try
to get as much detail as possible there and then do any adjustments in the
image editing application.

Thanks for the feedbacks Peder....

Regards,

SD