[filmscanners] RE: Scanner profile

>In Photoshop I use Photoshop's own CM engine.

Then when using Photoshop as the destination for your scanned files you
should not be using any other engine and should have them turned off (this
includes the scanner driver/software color management engine and the
operating system's color management engine).  Thus all color management of
those images would be done by Photoshop and nowhere else.  Other
colormanagement aware applications should recognize and use the embedded
profiles in the Photoshop exported or outputted files; those applications
which are not color management aware will not recognize said embedded
profiles and will display the file in whatever there native color space is
which may very well be different and appear so.  Similarly, under this
senario, the scanner driver/program preview of the scan will not be
necessarily the same as that displayed in Photoshop since the
colormanagement will come after the scan has been done and exported to
Photoshop, UNLESS you specifiy the scanner's color profile in Photoshop as
Photoshop's working space (or you choose to do a soft proof using the
scanner profile as your soft proofing profile, which in my oipinion is silly
since the scanner product is not the final version that one would want to
proof.

>I was told I will have to Assign Profile with the scanner's calibrated
>profile to the image brought into the Photoshop to do the thing.

I am unclear as to what you mean by "to do the thing."  What thing?  I would
say in general that with respect to the scanner, all you really should be
concerned with is that it is calibrated which it does typically
automatically using an internal calibration strip in most cases and not with
the color space that it uses for its files if you are exporting it to
another program for color management.  Calibration and color management are
two spearate and different although related activities; the former does not
utilize profiles while the latter does; the former is geared to
standardizing the scanner output so as to produce consistency between scans
while the later is aimed at defineing color spaces so as to produce a common
language which will enable those spaces to be translated from one device to
another device with as much fedelity as possible.  If the devices are
inconsistent or uncalibrated, it will render any color management
impossible; but if they are calibrated, it does not necessarily mean that
they will be color manageable.