[filmscanners] Re: Microtek vs Polaroid (was SS4000 Plus not toEurope!)

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Microtek vs Polaroid (was SS4000 Plus not toEurope!)
  • From: "" <al@greenspace.freeserve.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:20:09 +0100

Art wrote:

> How do the prices between the two products compare in Europe?

So far, the only reference to the ss4000 Plus on dealers' websites is just
"coming soon" with a
guestimate of cost between UKP 900-1000 (inc VAT).  The price for the 4000tf is
around the
UKP800 mark, including a (Win98 compatible) Firewire card and Silverfast.

> > Finally, at the fourth attempt, the preview looks fine.  (The same preview
> > corruption happens if I use Silverfast instead.) It then remains fine until
>the scanner
> > is moved again and the same thing happens.

> Just out of interest, when you move it, do you remove the cables, the AC
> current/ and SCSI connections, or is it just with the switch off, and
> you physically move it over somewhere?

I disconnect all the cables and put it back in it's bag to avoid dust, so it
gets both disconnected
and moved.

> This is beginning to sound a lot like a SCSI card/data problem.

I did wonder that but if I leave all the cables plugged in and don't move it
after it settles down, I
can power down both it and the PC and it works fine when they are powered up
again.
Similarly, if I move it carefully so it remains fairly horizontal when I'm
picking it up, it sometimes
will be fine when reconnected.

> I wonder if it wasn't a refurbished unit that had some problems.  If you
> are sure the problems aren't with interfacing, I'd agree you need a new
> one rather than a repair.  In general, these units are quite reliable.

Well, it was sold as new but who can tell!

> Normally, I'd say that the major advantage you're getting is Polaroid's
> service, but with the company in transition, it is hard to make any
> comparison until things settle down with their new owners.

Well the Microtek comes as standard (in the UK at least) with a 2 year
warranty, which isn't a
bad thing to have!

Al Bond