[filmscanners] Eyedroppers in Curves in Nikon Scan

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Eyedroppers in Curves in Nikon Scan
  • From: "Jerry Lodriguss" <jml@astropix.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 01:03:34 -0400

Could anyone explain the behavior of the gray eyedropper in the Curves Tool
in Nikon Scan v3.1.2?

If I use Auto Levels to automatically set a black and white, and then use
the gray eyedropper to click on a gray card I have in a test image, the
pixel values in the gray card, which read 104,117,103 are re-mapped to
111,119,130 instead of 128,128,128 as specified in the preferences. (I have
the sample point set to 5x5 so it's not a weird single pixel).

Here is the behavior as I see it:

·       Clicking the auto levels first correctly sets black and white
points. Then clicking a gray point does not correctly set a neutral gray.

·       Clicking the individual black and white point eyedroppers on the
darkest and lightest pixels in the image correctly sets black and white
points, but then clicking the gray point eyedropper in the gray card does
not correctly set a gray point.

·       Re-setting auto levels and using the gray point eyedropper first
correctly sets a gray point, but these neutral gray pixel values are
changed, and do not remain neutral if black and white points are set after
a gray point is set.

This is not the behavior that Photoshop exhibits. If one sets the black and
white points in curves with Auto, and then clicks the gray point eyedropper
on the gray card in the image, the black and white points stay locked, and
the gray gets re-mapped to 128,128,128, or whatever you have specified in
the preferences in the Curve's options.  This is the behavior one would
expect, and desire.

So what is the deal with Nikon Scan?

Thanks,

Jerry