[filmscanners] LS-8000 glass holders, was My Public Apology

From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>

>Yes.  It greatly improves the focus, but I have to blow a hurricane of
>compressed air over the carrier and film to try to keep them clean, and as
>you can see, I'm still getting interference.  These rings don't look like
>dust, though--more like a slight flexing of the film, or something.

>I'm open to suggestions on how to get rid of this.  The glass carrier for
>the 8000ED already contains anti-newton glass, and I blow everything clean
>over and over.

Looking at the LS-8000 help files it appears only the single frame rotating
glass holder comes with overlay spacers?  As I work with the LS-8000 I see
the DOF is indeed limited as others have noted, and think the glass holder
is a good accessory for critical scans, but the damn thing retails for
$350:(

Making spacers isn't difficult (black "craft" paper is sufficient), and it
keeps contact pressure low where (and if) the base side touches glass.  This
review goes into some detail about the holders and use:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/LS8000ED_review.html

Dave