[filmscanners] RE: Scanning negs vs. slides

Alex,

expect a war after your post :-)
This is a long debated topic: last thread I followed ended with (more or
less) the agreement that high-end scanners (drum scanners) work better with
slides, whereas prosumer scanners give better results with negatives (of
course, slides have the advantage of providing a visual reference for color
calibration, but that's another matter).
In my experience I can confirm that both the Nikon LS-30 and the Canon
FS4000, especially for contrasty images, give MUCH better results with negs.
I have never even seen a drum scanner, so I'll let someone else confirm or
reject the other part of the statement.
Anyway, if you already own a scanner and don't plan to change it, you may
want to test your equipment, since that's what you're going to deal with.

Alessandro Pardi
One day I'll have a website.
Until then, you can see some of my work here:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=189247