[filmscanners] Scanning negs vs. slides

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Scanning negs vs. slides
  • From: "Alex Zabrovsky" <alexz@zoran.co.il>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:18:42 +0200

Hi guys.
I just had a conversation with some experienced user of IV ED.
During the talk, he mentioned that once he acquired the scanner and started
to built his archive, he turned to negatives solely claiming that he found
the results to be better scanning negatives in case of wide dynamic range
captured on the film. He states that the image with
featuring high contrast (night scenic for example) will be rendered much
better by the scanner in terms of the details in dark, while highlights are
still well preserved, whilst with slides often the dark details are missing
being still resolved visually on light table under loupe.
Is that correct ?
I usually prefer to shoot slides for anything except people-related stuff,
but if is opinions have much to reflect the reality, I would probably switch
to negatives for outdoors also.

Regards,
Alex Z