From: "Dave King" <kingphoto@mindspring.com>
To: <dickbo@btopenworld.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 6:38 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000 vs.Minolta
ScanMulti Pro!

The thing that appeals to me about the SS120 is that it uses a conventional
light source, and there are no real surprises scanning anything.  However,
dust is a problem as in any dry non dICE scan.  I see what appears to be
grain aliasing with Fuji Superia 400, but not Fuji 800, and 800 scans look
better (to me anyway) than 400 scans.  100 speed chrome scans look very
good, and Kodachrome 64 scans look very good.

The film holders are not fiddly at all as far as I'm concerned.  The 120
film holder is open with no cross bars, and doesn't require cutting film
strips into individual frames, but as a result individual frames do go out
of focus a bit in the middle of the edge of the "free end".  Taping a blank
strip to that end would fix that.

Unmounted slides work quite well in the 35mm strip film holder if you use
the middle frame.  You have to place the frame in such a way so that when
you close the clamping top piece it will center the frame on the cross bars
before the clamping piece hits the end stop (it's easier to do than
explain).  This works well, and the single film frame is then flatter than
if left in the mount.

But there are a few compelling things about the Nikon LS-8000....  it
appears to scan neg films with less grain aliasing (considerably in some
cases, judging by some of the comparisons posted).  Why that might be I
won't try to guess, if in fact it's true.  (comments?)

The new Nikons also appear to do better without dICE than previous versions,
which makes them viable for scanning B&W, and the occasional Kodachromes,
where problems may emerge only occasionally according to recent user
comments.  Again, this may be better performance than with previous versions
(because the 8000 has a diffused LED source?), and dICE appears to work well
with the majority of scans.  Last, the Nikon appears to me to have better
resolution than any of the other 4000 dpi scanners, ranging between slight
and significant depending on the scanner and film.

I asked B&H today about returning the SS120 I purchased the other day, and
there is no problem if within 7 days, but LS-8000's are backordered 30 to 60
days!!  It would appear this is a very popular scanner.  It's not an easy
decision.

Dave