[filmscanners] Re: GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000vs.MinoltaScanMulti Pro!

It's all in the light waves, my friend, all in the light waves, he says,
with a W.C. Fields, "cigar in mouth" whine.

Actually, each photon politely asks "are you friend of foe, should I go
through through you or around you?"....

Diffused light is bounced around and comes from many directions and
angles, and as such, it enters the film base at different angles and is
defracted within the film base as well.  Even more so the material on
the surfaces of the film.  The grain or color information, which is what
you do want to record, is kept in a very tight thin set of layers. This
is in part why thinner emulsions produce sharper enlargements.  It is
nearly two dimensional compared with the film base or dust and dirt.
Light therefore, regardless of the angle it enters those thin layers
scatters and bends a lot less.  In theory, this should cause a few
things to happen.  Surface dust and dirt should be diminished in
visibility on the projected image, as the light works itself around
those larger 3-d objects.  Also things within the film base, like
scratches, are diminished because again the light bounces around within
the film base mixing up and coming out of there all tumbled around.

The actual image layers, being quite thin, relative to the rest, do get
slight amounts of softening especially on edges of grain or dye clouds,
  but this can work for you in most cases, as it is a very slight type
of defocusing of the light.

If you have ever worked in a wet darkroom with a color head enlarger
which has a choice of condenser or diffusion light piping, or if you
have worked with a condenser enlarger in B&W which uses a cold cathode
lighting source rather than incandescent, you probably would have
noticed this.

    Now, here's were I'm having problems.  What the heck is it that
Minolta is doing which makes their scans so revealing of DDSG (dust,
dirt, scratches and grain) when they are using a cold cathode based
lighting source?

Art