[filmscanners] Re: GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000 vs. MinoltaScanMulti Pro!

Art,

In my experience higher resolution systems typically present a "softer"
picture, but levels of detail rendering are higher.  Tonal transitions are
rendered more continuously, and this is the reason for the "softer"
appearance, but it's a more accurate reproduction of the source, and this
(of course) is desirable.  Rafe's suggestion the sometimes "sharper"
appearance of lower res is analogous to posterization makes sense.  A gross
analogy would be a continuous tone ramp vs. a stepped ramp.  Audio engineers
use the term "crunchy" to describe low res digital sound, and in David's
comparison the Minolta scan does have a somewhat crunchy look compared to
the Nikon.

On a personal note, I'm thrown into a quandary.  I'm thinking of returning a
recently purchased SS120 for the LS-8000.  Looking back over recent posts I
see that Jack Phipps asserts dICE usually does work with Kodachrome, and
suggests a two scan layer blending approach for when it doesn't.

I'm also wondering if LS-8000 scans with no dICE (for B&W scans
particularly) are more problematic than with CCD scanners using a
conventional light source?  Comments from users regarding Kodachrome and B&W
scanning would be appreciated!

Dave