[filmscanners] Re: printing with 16bit files - was Re: Help withVuescan?

I could see that for the same reasons that one doesn't want to concert
it too soon within the manipulation process...  I'd like to see what the
benefit looks like, however, considering it would mean saving the images
in 16 bit for storage for later printing, and I also wonder how much
longer it takes for the printer driver to digest and print.

I have been shown that there is also a slight advantage to leaving the
file in the native resolution, rather than downsampling to Epson's (for
instance) "suggested resolution".

Many of these situations seem to be judgment calls in terms of advantage
versus real estate and time costs.

I suppose if one wants the absolute highest quality possible then each
of these factors can add to quality, or in the contrary, processing down
to 8 bit can diminish from quality.  As computers get faster, storage
gets cheaper and easier to use, and more reliable, these small
differences in quality may be worthwhile enough to take advantage of.
Right now, its a balancing act between results versus costs.

But, people need to decide on their own where they draw that line.

Art