[filmscanners] Re: Power Line Filter

Building every "professional" scanner to handle worst-case line power is
like building every car with all-wheel-drive. We don't all drive in the same
conditions.

It makes more sense to design and manufacture to filter power for some super
majority of anticipated operating environments, and assume that
"professional" users know enough about their mains power to condition it
appropriately (if needed) for all sensitive equipment. After all, I don't
expect my scanner to include a battery back-up, but power conditions on the
island where I live dictate that I have a UPS for the scanner and computer
and an 8KW generator attached to the house.

M. Denis Hill
Qualified Panoramic Photographer
Proud Member of the International Association of Panoramic Photographers
www.area360.com
"I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the
leisure to make it shorter." Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

>I think any equipment worthy of a "professional" appellation should clean
its own power in its own power supply.  That makes a lot more sense than
allowed the entire performance of the system to be dependent on the vagaries
of utility line power.

---