[filmscanners] Re: X rays was Digital PIC

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: X rays was Digital PIC
  • From: "Julian Vrieslander" <julianv@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:20:52 -0500

On 4/3/02 10:33 AM, Arthur Entlich <artistic-1@shaw.ca>, wrote:

>Next thing someone will get caught with explosives under a wig and they
>will start pulling at people's hair.  It seems to me they are inspired
>by the "technique of the week".  There are probably thousands of ways to
>sneak stuff through that could potentially endanger an aircraft, but
>until they catch someone doing it, it isn't considered a threat.  Maybe
>strip searches will become common place when you fly.

This may not be far from the truth.  Engineers are already developing
technologies to do a quick electronic "strip search" at airport
checkpoints.  One of the big nightmares for the security pros is a
terrorist with a plastic explosive charge concealed in a body cavity.

When you think about it, the fuss over airport security is mostly a
(vastly expensive) PR exercise.  There are probably many ways to defeat
the airport security checkpoints.  I've thought of several that would
still work, and I'm sure the terrorists have, too.  Or the bad guys will
simply choose other vehicles, other targets.  It's actually surprising to
me that we have had so FEW attacks of the magnitude of 9/11 or Oklahoma
City...

--
Julian Vrieslander <mailto:julianv@mindspring.com>