[filmscanners] Re: Re:Digital PIC

Jack Phipps wrote:

> You walk up to a kiosk and drop your exposed, undeveloped 35 mm film
> canister into our processor. The processor automatically extracts the tongue
> (not a simple task, a first in the industry we believe),

Can't speak of a fully non-assisted tongue "expressor" but our lab used
one that was, for all intents and purposes automatic. You placed your
film in the device and it "french kissed" the canister with a thin
flexible metal double layered "tongue" which had some small "barbed"
(unidirectional) protrusions that slipped past the sprocket holes on the
way in, but caught on them on the way out.  The pressure of this two
layered tongue being wrapped around the film inside the small diameter
confines of the film canister, filled with wound film, pressed the two
layers of flexible metal tongue together, and the "tongue" was then
extracted holding the film beginning between the metal layers.

This was in use in early 1980.

 make sure it is has
> a proper DX code, then inspect the film for tears. Then we put something on
> the film to start the development process. They always want to know what it
> is, so often we tell it is "pixie dust" or Coke. After it develops for a
> short while, scan it. The images are printed out and a CD is produced.

You should call it Pixel Dust.

Art