[filmscanners] RE: Re:Digital PIC

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Re:Digital PIC
  • From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:16:54 -0600

Hello Rob!

Begin Sales Pitch
It is fun demonstrating this product. It was like Digital ICE when we first
start showing it. With Digital ICE we would take a negative, give it to a
customer with a variety of tools (scratch awls, oil, sand paper, abrasive
erasers, clumps of dust etc.) and have them put defects on the film. Many
times they would use their initials. Then we'd scan the film and remove the
defects. They thought we had scanned the film previously, and switched the
images. We started asking customers to bring a negative for demos (these
were usually investors or OEMs). It added meaning to our name "science
fiction".

We faced the same obstacles with Digital PIC. At PMA people didn't believe
we were actually developing film on the show floor. So we started giving out
film and letting them go shoot it, then we'd process it. One editor was so
skeptical he wasn't satisfied until he saw a picture with himself in it.

You walk up to a kiosk and drop your exposed, undeveloped 35 mm film
canister into our processor. The processor automatically extracts the tongue
(not a simple task, a first in the industry we believe), make sure it is has
a proper DX code, then inspect the film for tears. Then we put something on
the film to start the development process. They always want to know what it
is, so often we tell it is "pixie dust" or Coke. After it develops for a
short while, scan it. The images are printed out and a CD is produced.

There is more information on our website www.asf.com.
End Sales Pitch

Thanks for asking!

Jack Phipps