From: "Owen P. Evans" <opevans@ca.inter.net>
To: <philip.elkin@virgin.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 3:16 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Power Line Filter

I find this to be the hogwash of audiophilia!
I once was part of all of this snakeoil, smoke & mirrors, secret handshake
garbage. You can convince yourself of anything and then bring some
pseudoscience into the equation which convinces everyone else that your
methodology works. Every audiophile knows that clean power is the secret to
perfect sound; as are wires made of hexamethyl chicken fat coated titanium;
as are the cones and sorbothane feet that hold up the house that your hifi
lives and breathes in.
Perhaps a little jaded, yes. I spent thousands of dollars over the years to
eke out a less than 1% event change in the sound. I refuse to believe it
makes a difference in the world of scanning photographs! Why? Because it
really never changed the sound that much when applied to the world of audio
components. ( Just in case anyone doubts the verity; I once owned an audio
system worth over $35,000 and I was just beginning to get to the price point
where one might actually get a rendition of real music in one's home; to get
that you really needed to double my expenditure!)
So, Howard I can tell you that your money would be better spent in a bottle
of fine single malt scotch; just keep drinking until the scan looks better.
At least you'll enjoy the experience and hopefully will forget about it in
the morning.

Cheers,

Owen