[filmscanners] RE: Scanner image adjustments vs. Photoshop

Bob writes ...

> ... It leads me to the question:
> which of Photoshops 8-bit tools (ie the ones that are greyed out when the
> image is a 16-bit image) are present in my scanning software?

  It would be a bit dependent on which version of PS you use, and I am not
familiar with your scanning software.  However, some scanning softwares
offer or "film" specific tools ... e.g., IR defect removal, or algorithms
specific to "grain".  Scanner software might also address specific issues
for a given scanner ... for example, a characteristic softening for which a
special "sharpen" filter may be provided ... but generally speaking most
softwares provide a variation of "unsharp masking", and you may as well use
PS USM.  Other than these, I can think of none which can't be taken care of
with PS v.6.

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com (in progress)