[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS-40 vs Polaroid SS4000

Tris wrote:

> By the way, I would like to use Digital Ice once just to see how well it
> works, but I'm rather confident I'd be disappointed in the results. I
> assume the before-and-after pictures I've seen are best-case examples, and
> they didn't impress me much.

Tris,

I made some examples a year or so back of some fungus attacked negs
using a Minolta Elite and I posted these at:

http://mysite.freeserve.com/filmscanners/scanner.htm

These images were far from pin sharp anyway but the high res version of
them on the page does show the magic that an Infrared channel can
achieve.  I'd be hard pressed to correct these problems by hand.  What I
don't know, of course, is how that same fungus damage would look using a
scanner like the Polaroid SS4000.

Like Art I am a fan of ICE but it does definitely soften the image.  For
instance, I scanned a slide recently (using an Elite II) where the teeth of a
zip on a jacket were quite clearly defined when ICE was switched off.  As
soon as ICE was turned on, the teeth became blurred.  Maybe this is due to
the way Minolta has implemented ICE and that other scanners with ICE
might be different.  Maybe it was partly because it was an underexposed
slide where I had to bring up the shadow detail.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I can post an example of the effect.

Al Bond