[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS-40 vs Polaroid SS4000

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS-40 vs Polaroid SS4000
  • From: "" <argv@danheller.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 04:03:17 +0000

> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 19:14:19 -0500
> From: "Hemingway, David J" <HEMINGD@polaroid.com>
> Gees Al, we introduced the 4000 Plus only weeks ago. How elderly can that be

He's referring to the old, now-obsolete, hard-to-find-but-cheap-as-hell
SS4000 (i.e., not the 4K+).  So, to answer his question:

> Also, the SS4000 is
> now quite elderly in scanner terms.  Has anyone had direct experience
> of both these scanners, preferably on dense slides like Kodachrome?

David mentioned that dust-removal will come from lasersoft soon, but
this is a software implementation, which concerns me greatly. I don't
see how it can possibly detect and repair dust very well and without
compromising the quality of the image (i.e. sharpness).  Whatever the
answer is, I don't see how it can do a better job than using an infrared
light to detect and "see through" dust the way ICE does. Can anyone who
is a flag-waver for silverfast come to its defense? Polaroid is going to
have a hard time having software complete with infrared technology, at
least at face value.

Also, if I buy a SS4000+ that comes with silverfast, do I get the new
silverfast upgrades when they're released, or do I have to buy separately?

That said, I have been running my entire photo business from my older
SS4000 (http://www.danheller.com/photo-biz), so I know what I'll be
dealing with if I upgrade to the SS4000+. It's a fantastic scanner, and
I would be quite eager to pick up the extra shadow detail in the new model.
I would buy it in a second, but....I'm still curious about some downright
hard evidence about just how well the ICE works using a direct comparison
of the scanners of two slides.  Show me two side-by-side high-res output
files, please. Anyone?

I also want to know the downsides. From what I know, the ICE takes up
considerably more time to batch-scan than with it turned off. How much
time? What other downsides?

--
        --dan

Photo Gallery:  http://www.danheller.com/