[filmscanners] Re: Focus problem on Minolta Scan Multi Pro

On 17/3/02 4:23 am, "M. Denis Hill" <denis@area360.com> wrote:

> I notice no difference in focus between film formats with mine using Minolta
> software (1.0). If you'll document the steps and settings you are using,
> I'll try to reproduce your problem on my Multi Pro with Minolta and VueScan.
> I am using a PC, however.
>
> Please note:
> How are your Minolta Scan preferences set: Auto Expose for Slides? Auto
> Focus at Scan?
> What other settings are you using for your scans?
> In Prescan, are you using "auto focus" and/or "adjust focus manually?" If
> either or both, what area and image characteristics are you targeting (i.e.,
> edge or center of frame, detailed subject vs. low contrast)?
> What kind of film in 35mm and medium-format?
> What is the manifestation of "wrong" medium-format focus?
>
> Regarding your red scans, there is a known problem with a blue cast under a
> specific set of conditions: scanning 24x65mm color negs in the multi-format
> holder. Like your red cast, this occurs in Minolta Scan but not in VueScan.

Denis

The preferences are Auto Expose for Slides, Autofocus at Scan and use
monitor colour space.  Other than that I have not changed any other
settings.  In the prescan I am letting the software do whatever it is
supposed to do.  I have also tried selecting a focus area for the scanner to
autofocus on and it says it is focussing and does another prescan, but you
can tell from the prescan that the image is out of focus.  When I do the
scan and open in Photoshop it is blurred and out of focus.  I have tried
setting the AF point to the edge as well as the centre of frame.

I have successfully scanned 35mm Provia slides, Scala slides and Delta 100
film (although the quality of the black and white negative scan was not very
good, it looked grainy and the Provia was too red - any tips here?).  I am
now trying to scan 6X6 Delta 100 negatives and Kodak Portra 400NC and 160VC
negatives.

There are very few instructions with the scanner.  I am placing all negs in
the carrier with the image right side up (or the matt side at the bottom.  I
assume this is correct but shouldn't affect focussing anyway.

I hope you can help as this is spoiling my view of the scanner.  What is
worrying me is that Vuescan is having the same problems - 35mm is fine,
medium format is out of focus.

Thanks Denis.

Simon

B&W images at http://www.monochromeimage.com