[filmscanners] RE: New price on Flextight Photo in UK

Hi Dave,

> Calibration settings is the wrong term.  What I meant is the software
> interface leads one to think there is enough control over tone range that
> clipping and compressions that can't be reversed are avoidable, and is
> really not a hardware issue at all AFAIK.

If I understand what it is you are talking about, that is neither a software
OR a hardware issue.  It is a bit depth issue, as well as an operator
understanding issue.

You should NOT be doing tonal moves with grayscale in 8 bits, but you can
"get away with" doing moves in an 8 bit space with color, since 8 bit color
is really 24 bits....  ALL tonal moves in grayscale must be done in high bit
mode, or you will drop codes (get combing in your histogram, and possibly
get posterization).

Is that what you were talking about?

Regards,

Austin