[filmscanners] Canned film profiles - was RE: New price on Flextight Photo in UK

> Austin Franklin wrote:
>
> > Personally, I wouldn't give too much weight to film profile
> availability...once you get
> > the hang of setting black and white points, and curves, you'll
> probably forget all about
> > them.
>
> Could you say more on this subject, please, for a newcomer who is
> just beginning to learn
> to use a brand new Polaroid SprintScan 4000 Plus.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rodger Kingston

Hi Rodger,

All a film profile does is provide a "canned" tonality curve.  But, as I
said, whether these curves do you much good or not, really depends on how
close the image used to create the "profile" in the first place was, to YOUR
images.

The differences can be exposure and development of the film, as well as the
light source/calibration of the scanner.  Canned profiles have nothing to do
with setting white and black points...keep that in mind.

Do you understand setpoints and tonal curves?  If not, that is where you
might want to start your understanding.

Do you need more of an explanation?  If so, please ask.

Regards,

Austin