[filmscanners] Re: Cleaning LS2000 optic?

I have now read several histories of the LS-2000 and the LS-30 scanners
which involve problems with halos/flare that developed over time.  This
probably happens with most film scanners over time, as they pick up
dust, evaporated or vaporized lubricants, plasticizers from wiring,
residue off circuit boards, etc, smoke from cigarette smokers, oils from
cooking and heating if in a home, etc.

All my projectors develop residue on the condensors, heat absorbing
glass, and lenses, and mirror and require cleaning, so I suppose this
can be expected from a film scanner also.

The difference is that slide projectors make it pretty easy to get to
the parts needing cleaning.  I suppose some scanners are more
susceptible than others to this problem, but probably it would be a good
idea for them to be designed to allow for easy access to the parts that
need cleaning.

In terms of your scanner, the postings I have been reading suggest
access to the mirror and lens isn't all that difficult, and the main
issue is to take care not to damage them or to leave smeared residue on
them.

I'd stay away from the actual CCD.

Art