[filmscanners] Re: Cleaning LS2000 optic?

> I am passing my LS2000 on to my daughter but i want it to be in good
> order before I do so, and I've noticed it flares visibly with some
> scans- I assume the lens needs cleaning. Can anyone tell me anything
> about this- is it straightforward? Is it as simple as removing the
> cover and there the lens is in front of you, visible and accessible?
> TIA for any info.

I have dismantled an LS-30 before, which is (at least mechanically)
identical to the LS-2000. It is not particularly difficult to take
apart, but you need a lot of patience to get to the lens. The only
screws you should NEVER touch are the ones that hold the CCD in place
(they are pretty difficult to get to anyway).

While you are at it, make sure the lens is properly seated, because it
can come loose over the years (mine has done just that).

If you're not sure whether or not you can do it, at least try taking
the two halves of the outer case off by undoing the four screws on the
back. Then you can see almost everything and make up a plan...

Have fun,

  Andras