[filmscanners] RE: OT: Choosing a high End CRT

My experience from using high end LCDs, as well as notebooks with high end
active matrix LCDs, is they to not provide near as "good" a display (color
wise) as CRTs do for digital imaging.

Though LCDs may look nice for regular Windows type displays, I would
STRONGLY urge anyone who is looking at using an LCD for digital imaging,
that they try it first, and compare it next to a good CRT.

There are TWO types of LCD interfaces, and these make a world of difference.
One is an LCD that takes a regular video input, and the second is a direct
drive LCD, where the video is not converted to standard video output (as
used in a standard CRT), but output digitally.  The second will give you a
much better (as in sharper) image.

I specifically use Hitachi 802 CRTs, which are 21" 1600 x 1200 displays, and
I find them to be as good as I need for my work...and they aren't that
expensive used these days, well under $500 in "as new" condition.  They are
amazingly sharp, edge to edge, and have excellent color.

Austin