[filmscanners] Re: Colormatching with Canon S820/S900

John Pendley wrote:

> >I think that everybody can. This is a system made by one person, so the
> >interface is a bit simpler, "down to the basics" but the essential
> >issue here is that this is a
> >   put the film
> >   preview
> >   adjust the brightness (or rather gamma factor, this is what it is)
> >   select color balance scheme
> >   preview. Happy?
> >   press scan.
> >kind of system.
>
> It's best to adjust brightness and color  (gamma) balance in Vuescan than
> in PS?

It depends. I always try to get images out of Vuescan in a shape not
requiring any digital postprocessing, especially if I have many images
of a temporary values, such as a trip documentary.

But in every case, if you scan in 48bit mode and e.g. postprocess
24bit files, the gamma adjustment in Vuescan might deliver better
results because you would operate on a much finer range of values.

> I've read that, strictly speaking, Vuescan is not a Twain app.  How does it
> talk to PS?

Yes and No, Vuescan is a standalone application but it may invoke
an external viewer after every scan. You might use the Adobe
Photoshop for that purpose.

> Another question: I downloaded a trial version some time ago.  There is a
> row of icons at the bottom of the screen, but clicking them does
> nothing.  I realize that to most of our list members, this is basic
> stuff.  If I download the real thing, will I get documentation?

The only but a bit terse manual is than available in *.html format
via the Help menu. Previous versions of the doc were supporting
the Windows help format, but Ed has probably decided to stick to
the one and universal HTML format.

Thomas.