[filmscanners] Re: Scanning Questions

Date sent:              Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:59:05 -0500
From:                   "Preston Earle" <PEarle@triad.rr.com>

> I have a number of old (1980's) Kodachrome slides to scan on my Minolta
> Dimage Scan Dual II. With both the Minolta software and Vuescan, they
> come out very dark on the previews. On a typical slide, in Vuescan I
> have to set the brightness to something like 1.6 to get any kind of
> decent tonal range. (WP=0, BP=0) In Photoshop, it's difficult to get
> levels/curves adjusted to get a good image. Is this the nature of
> Kodachrome, or is there something else I can do?

As far as the 1.6 in VueScan, yep, KR for the most part needs brighter
settings than EK.
For nicely exposed KRs, I'm generally at 1.4 and up. Often at close to 2.0.
Prolly to do with fact that there IS silver left in KR emulsion?

At any rate, though, I've been able to get nice final renditions in PS, often
just
by either/or Auto Contrast/Auto Levels. Using default settings other than
brightness in VueScan. Oh, and I use IR Clean on them also, which is a big
plus with KR and VueScan.

Note that I haven't done any KR since VS ver7.4, so dunno zactly how the
7.5 "final" version compares...

           Mac McDougald -- DOOGLE DIGITAL
  500 Prestwick Ridge Way # 39 - Knoxville, TN 37919
 doogle@doogle.com  865-540-1308  http://www.doogle.com