[filmscanners] Re: sharpening

Joanna,

> this is off subject but i have a camera break and some important shots are
> out of focus (badly). what is the best way to try and scan and sharpen? i
> have tried normal sharpening, in lab, by channels. any other ideas? nik
> sharpen pro work better? i have a LS-4000 i have not tried sharpening in
> scanner software but only in photoshop. thanks, joanna

The problem with all those sharpening filters is that they only
enhance edges, but do not reconstruct information that was lost during
the photographic process. The only solution I can think of is
recontruction using the maximum entropy method, but I have no idea
whether any plugins or standalone programs are available that can
perform it on a picture. Maybe you want to search the web for this. I
honestly don't think anything else would help you.

  Andras