[filmscanners] Blackpoint & noise, was grain

Now I'm confused (so what's new)..

Why would adjusting the black point *up* cause noise to appear, given that the
adjustment I'm making isn't sufficient to affect the deep shadow detail?  This
seems backward to me - if I increase the black point, am I not telling the
scanner to throw away some of my deepest blacks (ie shadow detail), and
therefore some of the noise (if there was any) should go with it..?

I'm seeing the reverse.  Well, it's Friday, late, and maybe my mind is going..

Anyway, if anyone wants to see what I mean, and can then humour me and explain
in words of few syllables :-), the samples and more info are here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~markthomasz/problems/blackpt.htm

(As it may affect your decision to visit, it's about a 270K download
altogether.)

Thanks for any enlightenment..

mark t