[filmscanners] Re: Foveon

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:24:34 -0800  Arthur Entlich (artistic-1@shaw.ca)
wrote:

>    By the way, the first camera coming out with the first chip type (7
> million pixel equivalent) will be by Sigma, and sell for about $3000 US.

This is all very well, and the matrix design and 9um sensor size does seem
a big step forward for information density to begin approaching film *but*
the sensor area is still only 20.7 x13.8mm! That's 33% of 35mm area, and
therefore deeply uninteresting, to me anyway.

I like the way that the blue-sensitive layer is at the top, which should
minimise noise, but they haven't said anything about whether optical
filtering is used or doping to limit chromatic response of each layer.
Optical = an instant hit on sensitivity, where doping could be almost
lossless.

It might be even cleverer though, depth penetration may be all they need to
know to assess luminance and colour, so neither optical filtering nor
discrete layering would be required. That isn't what the graphics show, but
then they probably wouldn't, and it is hinted at in the coverage.

Nor have they said anything about ODR or bit depth AFAICS, beyond speccing
the Konica at ISO100-400, with 800-1600 s/w selectable. That's on a par
with vanilla CCD and CMOS.

On the other hand, the potentially huge reduction in colour aliasing (hence
grain aliasing) and other artifacts could make for a 'last generation'
filmscanner, if Foveon are going to produce strip arrays in sensible sizes.

When's it out, David, and why doesn't Vuescan support it yet, Ed? ;)

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons