[filmscanners] Re: Foveon

Yes, it is made with National Semiconductor, and it is considered
equivalent to a 7 meg in current bayer pattern technology, although it
actually has 3.53 "million pixels".

Due to the fact that each pixel records all three colors RGB, using
color filtration/separation caused by the natural characteristics of
silicon, it records much more color information for the same number of
pixels, and reduces the problem with artifacts, moiré, and false color.
   It also eliminates a lot of the need for fast processors to calculate
the bayer pattern algorithms within the camera, which should reduce
costs tremendously over time.  They plan to release a sensor with half
the resolution in 6 months or so, which will be equivalent of to about a
   current 3.5 million pixel (about 3.1 megapixel???) sensor.

So, say good-bye, not to film cameras, but to all those 1, 2 and 3
megapixel cameras selling for hundreds of dollars too much.

   By the way, the first camera coming out with the first chip type (7
million pixel equivalent) will be by Sigma, and sell for about $3000 US.

Art