[filmscanners] Re: Foveon

markthomasz@ozemail.com.au wrote:

 > Austin said:
 >
 >>The sensor array still have individual sensors for each of the
colors, but
 >>uses three of them per PIXEL.
 >>

 > I guess you could call them 'individual', but the diagram 1/2 way
down this page:

 > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0202/02021102foveonx3tech.asp
 >
 > shows that the sensors really are stacked at different depths within
each sensor.

 > A long time back the list had a lengthy (and at times painful!)
discussion about the fact that CCD-ish technology was somewhat
'tethered' by the sensor size, and that reasonably-priced, high-res 24 x
36 arrays were far in the future.  I was in the camp arguing that some
off-beat technology would arise, and I remain there.  Who knows, maybe
I'll be able to say 'told you so' soon - here's hoping, anyway.

 > mark t

Yes, we were both in that camp, as I recall... <smirk> ;-)

Art