[filmscanners] Monochrome printer settings

Hi -

I'm working with some B&W negatives (Tmax 100, Delta 400 and Tri-x)
scanned with Vuescan on a Canon FS2710, using the 16-bit grey setting
in Vuescan.  I have a few questions, some Vuescan and some Epson.

Vuescan offers, under the Tmax settings,  D-76 and Tmax CI settings -
I'm assuming this is "contrast index?"  Is that really gamma, and does
this parallel the gamma for the developer?  For example I'm using
Rodinal 1:50, and Agfa  says the Gamma is .65 (ot sure if that is for
1:25 or 1:50) - for the sake of consistency should I try to match this
in Vuescan, even though no Rodinal settings are given?

With my Epson 820, there is a very large selection of color profiles
in the printer software.  I'm not sure how many of them apply to
monochrome printing.  Many of them are categorized by percentage of
"dot gain."  What is dot gain?  Then one setting is "Working grey -
30% dot gain".  Any idea how this is different from just plain 30% dot
gain?  I'm experimenting, but paper and time ain't cheap, so any
guidance is appreciated.  I just printed a pretty high contrast print
on Ilford Classic Pearl using the "Adobe Monitor Gamma" setting, which
is qualified as "perceptual," and it does  look good and very close to
my onscreen display, but I'm interested in other approaches.

I realize this is not a printing list, but I'm interested in getting a
consistent workflow from exposure through development, scanning and
finally printing.

Thanks for any lights,

Ken Durling

Visit my new easier-to-browse PhotoSIG portfolio:
http://www.photosig.com/browse.php?id=photographer:203