[filmscanners] Re: Slightly OT: Hard Drive Speed

1) small (9-18GB) SCSI disks are close to the price of similar size IDE
disks - the SCSI disks are a little faster due to the interface.

2) large (36GB+) SCSI disks are progressively more expensive than similar
size IDE disks - but they are usually considerably faster.

3) It's quite cheap to use IDE raid striping (especially if it is a feature
of your motherboard and hence almost free) and this will often be cheaper
and faster than a single fast SCSI drive.

4) SCSI raid striping whilst more expensive (particularly with larger disks)
is faster than IDE raid striping

5) raid striping is less reliable than a single disk of similar size.

6) Even the relative price difference of large SCSI drives to large IDE
drives is small when you consider the "total system (
computer,monitor,scanner,printer,camera,lenses,other accessories)"

7) MAXIMUM disk WRITE performance WILL be acheived if you can dedicate
sufficient (enough for one image) system RAM to file cache. eg. 35mm at
4000dpi is approx 110MB so a dedicated 128MB of RAM (£10 Nov2001  -sadly £30
now) for file cache will maximise (provided your not too quick selecting our
next op)  write performance regardless of whether  you have striped 15000rpm
SCSI disks or single 5400rpm IDE disk.

7) You will invariably read files more than you write them.

I think  that covers it ... - it's my only words on the subject  regardless.

... you pay your money and make your choice.

Steve

PS For the record I currently have IDE drives  with lots of file cache. I
have yet to see acceptably priced SCSI disks of the size I required.