[filmscanners] Scan quality - Vuescan versus Nikon Control 2.2

As an introduction to digital photography I bought the used LS-20 scanner
and played with it using Vuescan and Nikon scanning software.
I like the color balance of Vuescan, but I have noticed, that Nikon Control
2.2 gives me much better results on the areas with one color (like the sky)
and progressing density.
With Vuescan it looks like scanning with less bits, it is more grainy and
transition from darker to lighter areas is unpleasant.
Am I doing something wrong or is it a normal behavior of Vuescan?
I am scanning at 2700 dpi and 24 bits.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards, Richard