From: <gannet@jtel.net>
To: <neselain@swbell.net>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 9:54 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Epson Photo 2450

> thank you for the very detailed answer and the precious links. By
the way,
> was the Supra you scanned 400?

I have scanned Supra 100, 400, and 800.  Even the 800 is almost
completely
grain-free on this scanner.  All scan very nicely.  The 400 and 800
are so
good that I'm considering standardizing on them for faster stuff, and
Provia
100F for 100 speed.

For some reason, I find most Fuji neg films, especially the newer
4-layer
types, much more difficult.  They come out very "flat", with low
contrast
and very poor saturation.  And that's with Epson Twain, SilverFast SE,
and
VueScan.  I'm not sure what's going on there, quite possibly operator
error
of some sort, but I keep going back and trying again (I'm stubborn)
and it
just doesn't get much better.  But I haven't given up yet. :)  And I
have
yet to try Reala.  I keep carrying 2 rolls around in the camera bag.
But
when I can afford 100-speed, it's really hard to not use Provia 100F.
:)
Although even there, Provia has been my main hitter for some time, but
think I need to give Astia some further trials.  I love the way Provia
looks
on the lightbox, but the somewhat lower contrast of Astia may well
scan
better.  I'm still growing into how my shooting is changing now that
the
scanner is my "target".

First you had to learn how a camera sees the world, as opposed to your
eyes.
Then you had to learn how a particular film sees the world.  Now you
have to
learn how the scanner sees the film. :)

Gannet
St. Petersburg, Florida USA