[filmscanners] Re: Photoshop (on Mac) bogs, VueScan hoggingprocessor?

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Photoshop (on Mac) bogs, VueScan hoggingprocessor?
  • From: "Julian Vrieslander" <julianv@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 19:59:33 -0500

On 1/26/02 6:52 AM, EdHamrick@aol.com <EdHamrick@aol.com>, wrote:

>In a message dated 1/23/2002 11:31:22 PM EST, julianv@mindspring.com writes:
>
>> I used a similar utility (Peek-a-Boo 1.6) to monitor the CPU usage for
>>  VueScan 7.5b1 running under Mac OS 9.2.2.  I started VueScan and put it
>>  into background without doing anything.  The monitor showed that VueScan
>>  is using about 50-60% of CPU time while idling in background.  Not very
>>  nice (in the unix sense and in common parlance).
>
>It's a wxWindows problem.  When running on Windows it uses 1%
>of the CPU when idle, and the Mac OS version uses exactly the
>same source code.  I just tested 7.5 beta 3 on OS X, and it indeed
>uses between 30% and 40% of the CPU when idle.
>
>If anyone wants to fix this, the source code for wxWindows is on:
>
>  http://cvs.wxwindows.org/
>
>Regards,
>Ed Hamrick

I took a look at that site, and I could not easily discover where the
relevant code would be.  I've never used wxWindows, and I don't know how
the files are organized.  But perhaps I could make a useful suggestion if
someone could point me to the file which contains the code for the
Macintosh OS 8/9 event loop.  It probably contains a call to
"GetNextEvent" or "WaitNextEvent".

--
Julian Vrieslander <mailto:julianv@mindspring.com>