[filmscanners] Re: Nikon 4000ED

o Doesn't the bulk slide feeder cost an extra $500?

o Edge softness on cardboard mounted, 20 year old Kodachromes can be
so bad that my 2,300 dpi filmscanner is sharper across the slide than
my Nikon is in the fuzzy areas.  For some slides I've tested this
remains true event if you manually set the focus point halfway
between the extremes of the curvature.

o Haven't done enough scanning of negs to have data re. curvature
with the negative holders.

o I use the NikonScan 3.1 software as a Photoshop plug-in, and for
the most part it works just fine.

o On color negs, any slight surface scratches on the non-emulsion
side of the film base will be turned into huge white gashes in the
scan.  Digitial ICE does an amazing job of removing nearly all
evidence of these, but takes a loooong time and "shouldn't" be
necessary in the first place.

--Bill