[filmscanners] Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II replacement unit: another piece ofelectronic garbage :-(((

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II replacement unit: another piece ofelectronic garbage :-(((
  • From: "Ralf Schmode" <rschmode@gmx.net>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 17:41:55 +0100

Hi again,

for those who didn't get the story yet: Nikon LS-30 died, ordered
Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II, turned out unusable due to banding issues
(see
http://schmode.net/banding_channels.jpg for the disaster), Minolta, my
dealer and I agreed to have the unit replaced, went to the post office
today to pick it up, installed it...

...and the same thing starts all over again :-(((

See http://schmode.net/banding_new_unit.jpg for what the replacement
unit does to my slides. I tried a RAM upgrade to 384 MB (which I had
planned anyway), ran the unit on another machine, tried Vuescan instead
of the Minolta software - nothing helped.

BTW, there's banding in *all* of the color channels. The jpg file above
only shows it in the red channel but the original scan (without the jpg
artifacts) shows (much less of) a *diagonal* banding. Before I throw the
whole thing back into the cardboard box, I'll save a scan in .bmp format
just in case anyone wants it for analysis.

You won't possibly believe how enthusiastic I am about Minolta and their
products :-(((

On Monday I'll talk to my dealer and have the bloody thing replaced with
a Nikon LS-40.

Frustrated greetings from Germany -

Ralf

--
My animal photo page on the WWW: http://schmode.net
Find my PGP keys (RSA and DSS/DH) on PGP key servers