[filmscanners] Re: Video card for imaging

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:52:13 -0500  Paul Chefurka (paul@chefurka.com)
wrote:

> I'm not sure why one would use older cards instead of newer ones, given
> the
> probability of support issues as they age further.  In addition, the idea
> of using two PCI slots instead of one AGP slot with a dual-head card just
> doesn't make intuitive sense to me.

I agree! I'm not dissing the G400/450 at all, rather saying that the G200 I
use (AGP incidentally) is excellent and extremely sharp at 1600x1200 on a
Sony G420 19". They are also dirt cheap *because* they have been replaced
by newer cards, so for po' people like me they are a good option because it
allows you to spend more on the monitor itself. Which seems to me *the*
most crucial part of a dig.imaging system.

Trying to work with a poor monitor undermines everything. I had to do this
autumn 2000 when my 2 least-worst monitors blew up, and it was alarmingly
difficult to get decent results using the piece of junk I borrowed until I
could afford a new one. When I look now at scans I did during that period,
I often find slight but obviously wayward colour and unspotted crud I just
missed because the display was so poor.

The G200 was in the system all the time. Everything was calibrated, but
still crap.

I'd say this to everyone who has reservations about their screen : never
mind about fast disks, graphics cards, memory and CPU. All that stuff will
just help you make mistakes faster ;) if you don't have a really good
quality monitor. Get that first. Being able to see clearly is more of a
productivity benefit than umpteen MHz, and it's an accuracy sine qua non.

Which also makes one very good monitor much better than two mediocre ones.
Less user-friendly, but better for the scan quality. A crummy one would be
fine for the tools stuff tho'.

If you can afford that, the obvious thing to do is get a G450 or whatever.
I will someday, as I have an ancient but OK Amstrad 10" Trinitron. However
I just don't have the space. A bigger desk will be the next upgrade :)

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons